World Laughter Day is customarily celebrated on the first Sunday of May. This year, on May 2nd, 2010, the world will once again come together to laugh and spread the word of happiness and joy.
“Laughter is the best medicine. I love to share and promote health and spread peace through laughter,” said Akiko Shima, a Comox Valley laughter leader.
Thanks to Zocalos, Sean Murphy at Cedar Therapeutic Massage, Quality Foods, Zen Zero, Valhalla, and Thrifty Foods for great prizes for the free draws!
Here are 10 good reasons to come and laugh with us:
- Laughter is a stress buster. It reduces the levels of stress hormones in the body.
- Laughter strengthens the immune system and helps maintain good health.
- Laughter is anti-aging. It increases blood supply to the face, nourishing the skin and making it glow.
- Laughter is an aerobic exercise equivalent to any other standard aerobic exercise.
- Laughter increases the levels of endorphins – the body’s natural painkillers.
- Laughter helps control high blood pressure by reducing the release of stress-related hormones.
- Laughter helps depression, anxiety and psychosomatic disorders.
- Laughter Yoga makes us more creative and imaginative. It improves our sense of humour.
- Laughter shrinks the hurts of everyday life to a smaller, if not inconsequential, size. It interrupts the power struggle and defuses anger by releasing it.
- Laughter helps individuals be more self-confident and self-expressive.
The celebration will take place on Sunday, May 2nd, from 1:00-3:00pm at the Women’s Resource Centre. It is located at #1-1491 McPhee Avenue, Courtenay. There will be door prizes, and refreshments will be served. Admission is FREE. Bring your friends and have a good laugh.
FMI: Akiko Shima at 339-2195 or www. InvokeLaughter.com